Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Parent Teacher Conference

So this week I had the great opportunity to go to 4 of my 5 kids’ schools to participate is the great educational tradition of chatting with their teachers for 10 to 15 minutes and getting a personal update of his/her performance in school. I’ve always been a dad that feels very strongly about attending these meetings.

By education I'm a teacher and I taught professionally for a few years at the high school level. I strongly believe that if parents are not involved in their student’s life, you are setting yourself up to be manipulated, and always behind the curve when it comes to helping your kids solves their difficulties…..I’ve seen it first hand. If you wait for mid terms or parent teacher conference you may have a huge mountain to climb to get things back on track.

Each one of my children's teachers knows that I am there for a reason. And, that’s to be a supportive extension of their teaching. And best of all, to let my kids know that their teachers and parents are on the same page and trying their best to give the necessary attention and resources to their development. (gotta love the tag team approach….hmmm maybe there are lessons to be learned from pro wrestling….nah)

Tell me if this doesn’t sound familiar…..my teenagers are always trying to push the “Easy Button” and think that it’s OK to do what their friends are doing. Problem is, it seems like the friends they want to emulate are the lazy ones that are barely getting by in school. It’s true that some kids have great self motivation to excel and do their very best in school; if your kids one of them, I want him hanging out at my house with my boys. But for now, my teenagers will try and get away with whatever I let them. So everyday is a challenge to keep them moving toward their college goals. Don’t you wish they could see that short term decision have long term consequences? …..Sheeesh!

Now, my elementary school kids love school and all is well. Why can’t they stay young and innocent and think that I still know everything!

The Doc

No comments:

Post a Comment